Saturday, January 27, 2018

Mojito Infusion Recipe


Mojito Infusion Recipe

I have been toying with creating various teas and infusions (also known as herbal tea, it is "tea" made without any part of the tea plant). In this case, it was opportunity, not necessity, which drove innovation. I like growing my own herbs, and mint is one of my favorites. Click here for my mint infusion recipe. I wanted to try another variation using mint; I also found myself with access to a large amount of limes (don't let the above photo fool you, this is a lime that I just zested. I grew up with a Bearss sweet lime tree, which produces yellow limes, in my parents' backyard. Teachers at school never believed me when I said that limes were yellow.

The combination of mint and lime made me think of mojitos. I can't say from experience what a mojito tastes like, but it should be mint, lime, and rum.

Recipe, trial 1:
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
  • Steep in a 2 cup tea pot for five minutes
  • Add sugar to taste
Observations:

The infusion was good, but a little weak. Variables to explore in future trials: increasing to 1 teaspoon lime zest and mint leaves, dried lime zest instead of fresh.

This was just the first step, and with a bunch of dried mint leaves and frig drawer full of limes, I will be experimenting with recipes and ratios.


No comments:

Post a Comment